Saturday, December 01, 2007


When the music speaks

Term has ended followed by three consecutive clubbing nights- CUMSA bop, Club Salsa and Jingles at Queens'. Finally can get some rest today.

I am really dancing so much that I would never ever imagine. I remember it was not really a culture to dance in my secondary school. Stereotyping is quite a strong culture back at home. Moreover, there is not much exposure about dancing too. Most of my friends are not keen in exploring something different too.

I just can't describe how I feel when i can step, move, and spin in the music. It just feels so emancipated. My muscles listen to the music. My soul became a dancer when the music speaks to it. I really have to thank my salsa teacher, Haihan for introducing this wonderful art of salsa to me and also for his willingness to teach me personally and sincerely besides the classes. Of course, I have to thank myself too for breaking myself free by coming all the way to Cambridge and dare to step into the unknown and explore. Well, I guess I have always liked dancing, it is just that I do not have the opportunity to do so.

Different music speaks to different people. I guess Latin music communicates with me very well. Maybe that explains why my interest doesn't bloom in piano and I struggled for a pass. I was not able to identify chords, play by ear.... But my muscles listen to music now. Perhaps I am able to dance by ear, not play by ear.

Salsa and bachata is playing in the back ground now, vamos a bailar?

1 Comments:

At 2:09 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

I can do tango very well but not salsa anymore. :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home